Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

diesel cars

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car diesel cars

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Lyndsey

I currently have a 10 year old chrysler grand voyager which has suited my family of 6 perfectly for the past 10 years. Due to rarely using all seats at once these days I am now looking to buy a 5 seater car with optional 2 seats. I am also looking to buy a small runaround that I can insure my almost 17 year old son on. My dilemma is the diesel V petrol engines. With the revised government road tax diesel engines look like they are being targeted my current chrysler will increase from £295 p/a to £800. i would love the KIA sorrento but it only comes with a diesel engine. I have no knowledge on cars at all and feel intimidated in car showrooms. Any advice would be very welcome. I am also looking to lease both vehicles. Thank you for your time.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Lyndsey. The new VED rules will put the costs of road tax up for most vehicles, whether petrol or diesel.

It’s fair to say that the tide is turning against diesels, but whether this will make a significant difference to the petrol vs. diesel argument over the next decade is hard to say at this time. For now, I would say that if you are buying a new car, doing more than 10,000 miles per year and you plan to keep the car for more than three years, a diesel is still probably a better bet.

If you like the Kia, then it’s probably worth accepting a diesel engine instead of buying a car you don’t like to get a petrol engine.

Peter Allum

And do you have a view if buying a used car to do about 10,000 miles per annum and probably looking at keeping it for 5 years or so? Thanks

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Peter. I wouldn’t say not to buy a diesel, but over the next five years the financial advantages are likely to disappear and it’s not likely to make a big difference overall.

If the car you like happens to be diesel, it’s not a problem. But if it happens to be petrol, that’s probably fine as well.

Lyndsey

Thank you Stuart

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.