• Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Dispute with a dealer

Home Forums Buying a Car Dispute with a dealer

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Alex 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author
    Alex

I bought a car back in December for £3000 which went faulty a week later the car would not start, I contacted the dealer and asked for a refund but he refused. Instead he offered to fix it. I dropped off the car and he had it for about 3 weeks. He stated that the problem was now fixed by changing the ignition coil. I drove the car for about 5 weeks but the fault occurred again, I went to my own mechanic who informed me that the car needed a new starter motor and ignition coil. He showed me the diagnostic report to prove it. He also said the ECU was hanging off.
    I had a new starter motor put in but the car stopped working a week later. This time I took the car back to the dealer and informed him of the ECU issue too. This time he had the car for about 5 weeks and when he contacted me again he said he had put a new engine in. I picked the car up but after driving about 30 miles over the next few weeks, the car developed the same fault and was not starting again. I got the car towed to the dealer again who has had someone have a look at it. This time he has had a new fuel pump put in it and he said the mechanic has noticed the ECU is hanging off. This must have been overlooked on the previous visit.

I have informed the dealer that I no longer want the motor and I have had to buy a new car that is actually reliable. I have a disabled daughter and don’t wish to drive around in something that is not reliable.

He has offered to buy the motor back for £1200 but I want at least £2000 which he has refused. He told me to collect the car and sell it privately. I have not been able to use my car for the majority of the 6/7 months since purchase and have had to but something else.

What are my chances of getting a refund if I go through the small claims process?

Reply To: Dispute with a dealer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: