• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Do I have to take my car back if I reject a car?

Home Forums Buying a Car Do I have to take my car back if I reject a car?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Phil Page

Hi,

I bought a used Toyota RAV4 which seems to have a head gasket problem. I called the dealer to say I am thinking about rejecting the car and was told that is fine but I would have to take my old car I used in px back.

Do I have to accept this?

Many Thanks

Phil

• #128718 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Phil. If you are rejecting the car within 30 days under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, then the dealer is obliged to issue a full refund for the sale price of the car.

Technically a part-exchange is a separate agreement, so there is no link between it and your refund. You have sold the car to the dealer and there is no requirement for them to sell it back to you as part of the rejection process.

• #128719 Reply
    Phil Page

Thank you for the reply.

The dealership seems to think that i have to take my car back if i reject the car to cancel the deal.

Is there anywhere I can get info on this to take with me?

Many thanks Phil

• #128721 Reply
    Nick

Hi there,
    I purchased a Vivaro on Sunday which has since been examined by a different garage and found to be unfit for purpose. Numerous issues, gear box needs replacing, starter motor not working, heater plugs corroded and in need of replacement, NSF bottom ball joint failed, gear selector cables need replacing.I opened a dialogue with the trader who didnt offer any definite answers to my problem and after i told him i wanted to return the vehicle using my 30 day short term return rights he tells me i agreed to a trade to trade sale….. I have no idea what that is and certainly didnt agree to it. What i did say is that i didnt want the warranty, couldnt afford to spend the money and being as a dealer is obliged to rectify faults within that period anyway felt it was superfluous. In the space where the warranty is on my receipt they have written trade to trade sale! Is this something that dealers are using to avoid taking cars returned due to faults and does it carry any weight. I have begun a complaints process with trading standards and will need to be on the phone again all day tomorrow no doubt. dealer has closed communication and told me to sling my hook basically. Any advice welcome. thanks. Nick.

Reply To: Do I have to take my car back if I reject a car?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: