• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Engine faulty- what’s my rights with used car dealer?

Home Forums Buying a Car Engine faulty- what’s my rights with used car dealer?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Simon

Hi, I bought a Mazda 6 2.3 sport from a used car dealer last November, it came with a 3 mth warranty.
    Last night it broke down on the motorway and was recovered to my local garage. The garage had a quick look at the car and said bottom end damaged which has possibly damaged valves. The engine knocks/ loud banging with bad misfire.
    Phoned warranty company who said get the garage to phone us, which they did and was told to get my permission to strip engine to find damaged parts.
    The problem is the warranty is limited to £500 including VAT and the garage says it will cost that just to strip it down which will me with the cost of new engine etc.
    I have phoned the dealer and explained the warranty will not cover the engine repairs so what’s he going to do about? He replied by saying the £500 warranty should easily repair the engine. And as the cars passed the 30 days since purchase it’s not his problem.
    At the moment I have not given the garage the go ahead to strip the engine because I will end up with a bill bigger than the car cost!
    Any advice please? Thanks.

• #127586 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Simon. Your best bet is probably to try and reject the car under the Consumer Rights Act. For more information, check out our guide to rejecting a faulty car.

Reply To: Engine faulty- what’s my rights with used car dealer?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: