• Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Entitlement of Information

Home Forums Any Other Business Entitlement of Information

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Sharon Burgess

I have recently bought a car from BMW. There have been a few nocks and crunches from the car engine and since owning the car since last October (well on a PCP). The car went back to the garage 3-4 times but the faults were not rectified.

The brake pads needed to be changed after 7000 miles and the garage wanted to charge me. I asked to see the service history and the brake readings at the time of purchase. On asking for the information, I was told that I could only see work carried out during the time since taking possession.

I could see on the screen that the car had had body repair which was never disclosed to me, despite the fact that I did ask questions at the time of purchase. The garage refused to tell me what the body repair was.

The service manager used the excuse of GDPR. I am not after previous owner details just the historic works carried out on my vehicle. Advice would be grateful. Thank you.

• #136302 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Sharon. GDPR is not an excuse, they are lying to you.

In terms of whether they lied to you about the damage before buying the car, you would need to be able to prove that and that means having written advice that the car was not damaged. If all you received is a verbal assurance, then it’s worthless.

If the dealer refuses to disclose information about the vehicle’s history, you’ll basically have to either keep complaining until they provide it, or get some legal assistance. The dealer will be hoping that you give up and go away rather than pursue it that far.

Reply To: Entitlement of Information

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: