Toyota Celica failed MOT emissions test

Home Forums Any Other Business Toyota Celica failed MOT emissions test

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My boyhood dream car (Toyota Celica 1999) has failed its MOT and I need some advice please!

It failed its emissions test. In fact, it was aborted after first fast idle test due to dense smoke from the exhaust.

I’ve had the car two years and it’s passed its MOT twice.

However, there has always been an issue with the engine warning light coming on but no mechanic has been able to diagnose the issue. It has also drunk a lot of oil too throughout my ownership. I’m told this is a frequent problem with the Celica.

I’m not sure what to do as the mechanics have said that it’s burning oil and think it could be a valve issue or rings. It will need inspecting further apparently. It might be fixable or I might need a new engine.

It was mentioned by a garage that it could be possible to pass the emissions test by changing the spark plugs (obviously this wouldn’t deal with the deeper issue but might buy me some time in having the car fixed). But this could be a long shot.

I don’t want to spend lots of money having it inspected only to find it’s going to cost too much to fix.

Any advice please?

Thanks!

• #131078 Reply
      Stuart MassonStuart Masson
      Keymaster

Hi Steve. Have you looked at Celica owners’ forums on the internet?

If it’s a relatively common problem on this model, or with this engine (since it will also presumably be used in other Toyota or Lexus models) then there will probably be other people who have been through the same process.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Toyota Celica failed MOT emissions test

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel