• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Faulty used Renault

Home Forums Blogs Faulty used Renault

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Ann Brown

Hi, could you advise?

We purchased a Renault Captur in March 2018 from a well known national dealer. In June the engine warning light came on, this was two weeks out of the three-month warranty.

The dealer kept the car in for the day and completed a diagnostic on it and advised that they could not find the fault. We indicated that the light was still on, they still advised there was no fault and basically gave the car a clean bill of health.

On 14/08/18 the car started playing up. It started to lose its speed and was chugging, we called the dealer and they told us to bring it back in the following morning.

We took it in at 8.00am the next day and booked it in to be checked, the following day I received a call advising the car needed a new engine and it wasn’t covered under the 3-month warranty as we had the car for 5 months?

I checked my rights and called them back, we hand-delivered a letter to them giving them 14 days to respond, the letter was rejecting the car as it was not fit for purchase, we did state on the letter that we are happy for them to repair the car fully.

A week has lapsed and we are still waiting to hear from them, and they have the car. Could you advise what we need to do once the 14 days is up .

Many thanks

• #138495 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Ann. If the dealer is registered with the Motor Ombudsman you can get them involved. Other than that, you need to either pursue the dealer yourself or call in a lawyer to act on your behalf.

For more helpful information, read our article about rejecting a faulty car within the first six months of ownership.

Reply To: Faulty used Renault

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: