fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Full Car Service – Now a fault.

Home page 2023 Forums Technical Discussions Full Car Service – Now a fault.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kirsty Lloyd

Hello,

Not sure if this is something anyone can advise on?

My Citroen c3 went for a full service at a local garage on 31/01/2017 – they did repairs which was all fine. I then drove my car from Birmingham to Cornwall and as soon as I got there, the power steering stopped working – steering was almost impossible but then came back and went again.

I had my car recovered to a garage and they advised the power steering rack and motor has worn down £500 to fix – I had it brought back to Birmingham.

My question is should the garage who did my full service be contacted as the full service did include checking the power steering and no fault was found there.. the garage in Cornwall advised the power steering looked as if it hadn’t been checked.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Kirsty. The service would have included a fluid check for the power steering system and topped it up as required, but it is unlikely that they would inspect the system components in details to see which components have worn down. If it was a Citroen dealer then they may have had more of a look, especially if it is a known issue with that model.

A steering rack and motor failure through wear seems unusual unless the car has huge mileage, so you would need a written report from the second dealer to challenge the first one if their service paperwork shows that these components were inspected.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Technical Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.