• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Garages legal obligation, genuine parts.

Home Forums Technical Discussions Garages legal obligation, genuine parts.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Lewis

Hi, I bought a 62 plate Nissan Micra from a garage in September this year. A month after having it the mil light came on, I phoned the garage up and they said to contact the RAC because I had coverage with the car. RAC run a diagnostic and I contacted the garage with the result.

I then took my car back, thinking they were replacing a faulty lambda sensor- but when I collected it they said that the sensor was fine and that they had re-tested it and it was likely a loose wire causing the fault (which they tightened) exactly a week later the light came on again. This time they had my car overnight and said that they had replaced the sensor. The same day I collected my car the light came back on. I contacted the garage to say that I wasn’t happy going back again as it’s far from my home and inconvenient.

They agreed that I could get a diagnostic locally, which showed that it is in need of a catalytic converter. A genuine part is over £1000. The garage I bought it from will only replace it with an aftermarket part. Are they legally obliged to only use genuine parts?

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Lewis. No, the dealer is not obliged to be a genuine part from Nissan. They only need to use a part of the correct specification, so an aftermarket part will be entirely acceptable as long as it is the right spec for the car.

The forum ‘Technical Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.