Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Honda Civic 2017 PCP

Home page 2023 Forums Car finance Honda Civic 2017 PCP

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Huan1003

My local Honda dealer has just ordered a new Civic for me. I have signed no order form , nor PCP agreement yet!! They are in the process of compiling all the paperwork ready for me to sign next week. I have however paid £500 deposit.
      Can I legally get out of this?? They chose to order the car .

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

If you have paid a £500 deposit then you have bought a car, so it’s not surprising that they have ordered your car.

Saying that “they chose to order the car” when you have paid a deposit to buy it is not really very accurate.

Huan1003

Hi Stuart, the dealer ordered the car 1 week before I had paid any deposit.
      I assume from your reply you can offer nothing positive?

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

If you have paid a deposit, you’ve bought a car.

If you didn’t want the car, why would you give them £500?

Huan1003

Have you never purchased anything, and then on reflection thought better of it??
      Its OK, I have managed to speak to an expert! She advised the cooling off period stands & I have only lost the dealerships admin fees.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

I’m not sure which expert you have spoken to, but there is not usually a cooling-off period if you have bought a car from a dealership, although it depends on circumstances. If they have agreed to refund part of your money, then it’s a good result as they usually won’t and are generally not entitled to.

And the troll is right about one thing; changing your mind doesn’t entitle you to a refund. The dealership’s “admin fee” is simply a made-up number to make it sounds like they are being helpful while keeping some of your money for doing basically nothing.

For more information, have a read of our Ten Golden Rules for buying a car.

Big Al

“Have you never purchased anything, and then on reflection thought better of it” – huan
      Doesn’t mean you have a right to get your money back. Let me guess, you’re an entitled millennial who thinks you can do what you want. Why don’t you take some responsibility for your actions and accept you don’t deserve your $500 back?

Jenny

Hi Stuart. Can you please explain the rules for the cooling off period? I bought a car at one dealer and then found a better price at another one. The first dealer told me theres no cooling off period and that i can’t have my deposit back but the second dealer told me i should have 7 days.
      I’m so confused and stressed. Thanks, Jenny.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Jenny. It sounds like one or both of the dealers is misleading you to suit their own purposes…

If you went to the dealer and signed a contract and/or put down a deposit, then there is no cooling-off period for changing your mind. Seeing a better deal elsewhere after you’ve already bought a car is bad luck, unfortunately.

If you bought the car over the phone or via the internet, then you have 14 days after taking delivery of the vehicle to change your mind. However, the sales process needs to have been conducted in its entirety at a distance – going into the dealership to look at a car and then going home to call them up and agree to buy it doesn’t count.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.