fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

How to reject a car if the dealership has been liquidated

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car How to reject a car if the dealership has been liquidated

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      james

Unfortunately I have purchased a Ford Focus ST3 new this year and it has had numerous faults. These faults were unable to be resolved by the new dealer and therefore I wished to reject the car. Unfortunately our Ford dealership went into administration so I thought I would contact Ford Motor Company.

Ford Motor Company contacted myself today and explained it is not their problem and to take the matter up with the liquidators.

They were happy for the dealership to sell their product, I bought the car because it was a Ford not because Gowings were selling the vehicle.

Unfortunately they do not want to stand by their product and instead try to wash her hands with the situation.

I am now left with a car that has an intermittent engine light, judders, Keyless entry problem, sat nav and radio problem and a steering lock malfunction light.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi James. In terms of rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act, Ford is correct. The Act allows the buyer to take action against the selling dealer in rejecting the vehicle, but not the manufacturer. So unfortunately you are unlikely to be able to reject the vehicle – the administrators are not going to care about you, and will argue that the dealership has ceased trading so it’s not their problem either. You would need to take legal action to try and recover your losses like any other creditor.

If it was a new car, then it will still be under its new car warranty, so any Ford dealer should be able to fix the problems you have listed. The only action you are likely to be able to take against Ford UK is to challenge the vehicle as being not fit for sale, which will again mean engaging a lawyer and taking legal action.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.