• Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

HPI & the Limitations Act

Home Forums Car finance HPI & the Limitations Act

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ian mc 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    – none –

Hi,

I have a vehicle that I purchased on HP back in 2006. I paid more than 2/3 off the price then defaulted. The finance company has since sold the debt and they never bothered to repossess the vehicle.

The new debt company has never contacted me.

The vehicle is marked on HPI as having outstanding finance – but is there anything in the limitations act that will allow the removal of this mark so the vehicle can be sold?

Thanks

• #66639 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what the limitation would be – I suggest trying http://www.legalbeagles.info, as they are an outstanding source of legal advice and discussion.

• #66640 Reply
    – none –

https://www.legalbeagles.info

I believe it would be the same as any statue limitation….6 years, but I’ll ask the experts as you suggest – thanks.

• #66664 Reply
    – none –

It seems legal beagles have no answer either – 88 views in a week but no replies…..can you recommend anyone else?

• #86757 Reply
    ian mc

The statute of limitation only stops the finance company from legally being able to collect the debt through the courts after 6 years. This doesnt make the debt go away and therefore the balance can quite rightly stay with the car on its HPi record.
    Obviously if the finance company cant chase you for the money then they may be willing to give you a reduced settlement offer to give you good title to the vehicle and allow you to sell it.
    Be careful that any contact with the finance company doesn’t resurrect the full outstanding debt plus interest & attract debt collection activity.

Reply To: HPI & the Limitations Act

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: