• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Life span of cylinder heads

Home Forums Buying a Car Life span of cylinder heads

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Dag Hammar 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Mike H

I bought a brand new Volvo XC60 in 2014 and 4.5 years in it developed a fault that was eventually identified as a small crack in the cylinder head.
    The car has only done 85,000 miles and the cost of replacing it seems excessive in a car of that quality after this amount of time… or is it me?
    Volvo seems to think it is acceptable for its customers to pay extra thousands of pounds after this amount of time, but I’ve never had this with my previous cars. So my question is, when buying a new car, what sort of life span should I expect from a cylinder head before it starts falling apart?

• #173178 Reply
    Dag Hammar

I suspect that your car is now out of the warranty period. However there may be some assistance available to you. Do a Google search “consumer rights under the six year rule”.
    Apparently consumers have an expectation that some goods should last a reasonable amount of time and this can be up to six years. I would say that in the case of a motor vehicle one would certainly expect a cylinder head to last many years unless of course neglect or mis-treatment has caused the damage.
    Do some research regarding the six year rule and try to determine if that might support your case. Armed with some facts you could then go back to the retailer and argue your case. Hope this info may help you.

Reply To: Life span of cylinder heads

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: