• Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Main Dealer won't honour deal

Home Forums Buying a Car Main Dealer won't honour deal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Ian 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Ian

Hi,

I ordered a car yesterday from a main Skoda dealer. We agreed a discounted price, part exchange value for my current car and signed the order form/contract. I am paying cash for this car, so no finance involved. I paid a £1000 deposit. The dealer rang today saying he had got his figures wrong and couldn’t sell me the car at the price we agreed and signed on any more and was therefore cancelling the order. Please can you tell me where I stand legally? Do they have to honour the deal? Thanks.

• #65537 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

You can argue it out with them, but ultimately it will depend on how wrong they got it and how long they are prepared to argue it out for. If it was a genuine error and we are talking thousands of pounds, it is reasonable to expect that they will fight /negotiate with you until you give up and either accept a new deal or walk away.

You can try getting Škoda UK involved, and complain that their dealer won’t honour a legally-binding contract, but it may not help you that much. It may also depend on whether we are talking about a new Škoda or a used car.

Everybody makes mistakes, and if somebody has genuinely made a mistake and made you an offer that was much better than anyone else was prepared to do, then it’s not real surprise that they screwed up. If you knew they had screwed up when you signed the order, you can’t really be upset when they worked it out. If you genuinely entered into the contract in good faith and had no idea that the numbers were not correct, you are entitled to fight them for it.

• #65538 Reply
    Ian

Thanks for getting back to me. Spoke to the manager today and sorted it all out. The issue was that Skoda had changed the margins on the model I ordered – this just wasn’t communicated to me by the salesman who rang to tell me they were cancelling… I have now agreed on a different model at the same price we agreed, but with options added to make it up to the same spec. This is actually a better deal on paper than I had before, but one that the garage won’t lose money on. The manager was very apologetic and also threw in a full tank of due as a gesture of good will. Thanks again for your advice. Ian

Reply To: Main Dealer won't honour deal

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: