• Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Manufacturer Car Warranties after 3 years

Home Forums New and News Manufacturer Car Warranties after 3 years

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year ago.

• Author
    Cynthia Wyman

Has anyone experience of having a car with a known fault to the manufacturer and being able to claim off the warranty. This car: Vauxhall Meriva. Problem: Power Steering Fault (eps)
    I have been told there is a 12 year/100,000 mile warranty for this fault. The car falls into this category but I have been told even though the car has a full service history because it is with a Fiat dealership (a much more local and convenient one for my elderly parents) the warranty is invalid. Has anyone managed to overcome this? I am not sure if this is legal or not!

• #134280 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Cynthia. It may well be legal, as it falls outside the formal new car warranty requirements of the EU.

Under what are known as the Block Exemption Regulations, a manufacturer has to honour its new car warranty even if you have the car serviced outside its own dealer network, as long as the correct procedures and parts are used. So you can have your Vauxhall Meriva serviced by a Fiat dealer and it won’t void the new car warranty.

However, this will be a different matter. If there is a 12-year warranty on this particular component, it will probably fall outside the usual new car warranty requirements and therefore Vauxhall can refuse to pay for warranty work if the car has not been serviced by a Vauxhall dealer.

That’s not a legal opinion. To get a more reliable answer, you’d need to speak to a lawyer so they can look more carefully at your specific case and help determine what your rights may be.

Reply To: Manufacturer Car Warranties after 3 years

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: