• Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

misrepresentation act 1967

Home Forums Blogs misrepresentation act 1967

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 11 months ago.

• Author
    Kevin

My apologies if this topic has been covered before. If a car company is selling new vehicles with very misleading fuel consumption figures, are there any grounds for compensation? Example quoted EC Extra Urban 69 MPG, actual 39 MPG. Not just a small disparity, a massive one.

To put this in to perspective over 6000 miles this motor company claims you have to purchase 87 gallons of fuel, or 396 Litre at today’s price = £1.26 a litre = £498.96

Actual, over the same 6000 miles you have to purchase 54 Gallons of fuel, or 700 litres at £1.26 = £882.

My figures are rounded up or down to the nearest full decimal, (but my math may not be 100% either).

Now I know driving styles effect fuel consumption as does traffic, actual consumption to vehicle computer (which was almost 100% each time I refuelled), but how can a company get away with misleading the public by such huge margins? On the figures given I have been misled in to spending almost twice as much on fuel as I thought I was going too.

If a shop sells you a bag of sweets claiming it had 100 in it but it actually only had 50 there would be uproar so how can motor companies continually mislead the paying public?

• #137874 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin. It comes back to the way the “official” fuel consumption and emissions figures are calculated.

Basically, the EU laboratory test is far too easy and does not reflect a realistic real-world driving environment. Plus there are many loopholes (car manufacturers can over-inflate the tyres to reduce rolling resistance, reduce weight by removing the spare wheel/stereo/wing mirrors/etc., switch the car into eco mode if it has one, and then at the end of the test they are allowed to arbitrarily “adjust” the figures by 4%!)

The car manufacturers all optimise their cars to get the best test result possible, even if that means the car’s real-world performance and/or economy are affected. And even then, Volkswagen couldn’t get its diesel cars to pass the tests so they cheated.

Imagine that the fuel economy tests are like your school exams. The way it works is like giving you all the exam questions in advance, so all you have to do is learn answers to those specific questions rather than genuinely learning about the overall subject. By passing the test, you don’t necessarily know very much about the subject, you’ve just learned the answers to a specific set of questions.

The point of the new WLTP testing rules is to improve this, but independent testing has already shown that it’s still not good enough.

Reply To: misrepresentation act 1967

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: