fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Need advice a newly bought car (Ford Focus)

Home page 2023 Forums Any Other Business Need advice a newly bought car (Ford Focus)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Noah

Hi Stuart, We bought a brand new Ford Focus (Zetec) on 31/01/18. then, just recently, the engine cut out twice in the middle of driving and again the next day, our young grandson was with us and it was worrying as it was potentially dangerous. Although I managed to restart the engine eventually, we are not happy at all about this happening on a new car. We haven’t taken the car to the garage yet but verbally informed our dealership (we will follow this in writing very soon). In addition, we are both finding the driving very “bouncy” and uncomfortable, even on slightly uneven roads and noisy when driving over road joints. I thought new cars were supposed to be much smoother, is this normal ? ( didn’t notice this on the short test drive ). Our 17-year-old Ford Focus seemed smoother. Me & my wife are 70 and I can’t see how we can continue driving under these conditions.

Do you think we can reject the car under these circumstances?
      do we have to reject it formally before the 30 day period ? or can we state we reserve the right to reject if not fixed?
      the car was bought with 1/2 deposit and 1/2 Ford finance (HP) over 3 years. we put our old car under the scrappage scheme. if our old car has not been taken away yet , would we be able to get it back?
      p.s we’ve covered 500 miles so far.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Noah. I would have thought that a brand new car cutting out at speed would be reasonable grounds to reject the car, assuming it’s not simply the start-stop system cutting out when the vehicle is stationary.

The issue of it being “bouncy and uncomfortable” is far more subjective, and far more difficult to argue that the car is faulty unless you can show that this is not normal for that model and specification Focus (ie – it’s a specific problem on your car, rather than simply the way that that model drives).

If you want to reject the car without having to accept a repair, you need to formally advise the dealer and finance company within 30 days. After 30 days, but within the first six months, the dealer is entitled to one chance to fix the problem after you advise your intention to reject the car.

You almost certainly would not be able to get your old car back. Instead you would get a full refund on the price of the new car, which would include the value of your part-exchange vehicle.

For more information, have a read of our article about rejecting a faulty car.

Bryan bell

Hiy I have a ford fiesta 2012 model I can’t connect my phone with the Bluetooth in the car I have had the same make of phone previously but I can’t manage to pair this one I have tried other people’s phones with no luck I have tried disconnecting the battery and pulled out the fuse and put in back in have you any ideas ? Ford have said it will cost me about £200 !!!!

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Bryan. What reason did Ford provide you with when explaining that £200 will fix the problem?

Peter

Hi my Focus 17 days old has a intermittent red light in the instrument cluster any idea

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

My first idea would be to check the owners manual to find out what the red light means.

Susan Davies

I bought new car 5 years ago now ,thus week the malfunction steering came.on phoned days they said I’d have 2 pay took 2 garage and the told.me it’s.the steering rack gin going 2 cost 1000 pound 2 fix don’t think.i.should pay as the cars.not.that old

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Susan. If the car is out of warranty (which it probably is after five years), the dealer will certainly charge you for any work and the necessary parts.

Chris Berry

Just bought a 2005 focus 1.6 ghia after a couple of weeks the engine warning light came on and the engine idle is dropping intermittently when stationary and driving any help would be appreciated thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.