• Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

New car deposit

Home Forums Car finance New car deposit

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Victoria Wilson

Hello

In September I signed for a new car with a SEAT dealership. However I had problems with the finance due to proof of address ( I had recently moved & didn’t have any bank statements yet). I had informed the sales manager this but he said not to worry it will be fine with the proof of address I had. However the day I was due to pick up my car they phoned me to say that I needed a bank statement. I contacted bank but due to their system being down I couldn’t change address. So I phoned dealership up to cancel order & this is when they told me I couldn’t cancel order as they had already registered the car in my name. They will have to sell car as a used car & operate at a loss. I said not my fault as finance was never released so they shouldn’t have gone ahead with registering the car. They informed me that I would lose my £1000 deposit & I should be thankful that they aren’t perusing the rest of their loss. The email they sent was written in a threatening manner. This has been an ongoing problem for over 2 months now.

Are they allowed to keep my deposit even though it was their mistake to register the car before the finance had been released?

Thank you

• #125417 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Victoria. I’m not surprised that the dealership is annoyed with you, given that you appear to be trying to wriggle out of your new car purchase by refusing to get your address updated on bank documents.

It is not normal procedure for a dealership to register a car before funds have been received from the finance company, but presumably the finance was all approved subject to receiving updated banking docs and they were not aware that you were going to change your mind on buying the car.

I can’t see why they should have to refund your deposit. They won’t pursue the rest of their alleged losses because it would probably cost more than they are ever likely to recover.

Reply To: New car deposit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: