fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Paid deposit on new VW up! and now changed mind

Home page 2023 Forums Car finance Paid deposit on new VW up! and now changed mind

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Calum

Hi

Today I went to a Volkswagen dealer and paid a £200 deposit on a new up! I currently own a 2012 up! that I have not finished paying off but with the new road tax changes coming into force I wanted to enquire into potentially getting a new one.

The dealer was able to write off the outstanding finance still to be paid on my current car and I think I got a bit carried away with new car excitement so paid a £200 deposit to hold the car and signed a form.

However I’m starting to feel like I’ve made a mistake and am thinking about just keeping my current car until it’s paid off in a couple of years.

I did pay a £200 holding deposit that I was told would be given back to me once I collected the car , does this actually happen? Also I did sign a form but have not signed all the official documents yet so is it early enough to get out and get the deposit back?

Many Thanks

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Calum. If you have signed a vehicle order form, you’ve bought a car. The finance is a different story: you are able to cancel that up until 14 days after delivery, however that doesn’t cancel the vehicle contract (it just means you need to find another way to pay for it).

You can cancel the purchase and there’ snot much the dealer can do to stop you. You may see your £200 again, but you’ll probably have to fight for it.

For more information, have a read of our article about getting your deposit back when you cancel your new car purchase.

Calum

Hi Stuart

Thank you for your reply’

I have good news , the dealer has agreed to refund me the £200 they made no fuss and I also have it in an email from the salesman that they would refund me so they can’t back track.

I realise I’ve been lucky and have learnt not to go into a new car without properly thinking it through.

Thanks again

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Glad it worked out well for you and that there were no hassles. Keep checking your bank account until the money arrives.

AJ

Hi Stuart,
      Similar one here,
      I have put a £1000 deposit on a new VW on PCP, The car has a Build date but hasn’t been built and I’ve asked the retailer to make some amendments to my order (DSG gearbox and colour change)
      they have told me this isn’t possible,
      Am I able to pull out of the sale and start with a new order so I don’t loose my deposit?

thanks

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi AJ. You are not entitled to cancel and get your deposit back, but usually if you work with the dealer and are happy to order another car then they agree to play along.

In terms of your current order, if your car has a build date then the dealer is probably not able to amend or cancel the order with the factory. That means that – unless the factory burns down or the ferry sinks – the car will be built and delivered to the dealership, and the dealer will be billed for it. That is why they are telling you that the order can’t be changed, as it’s probably true.

If they agree to allow you to order another car, they will still be getting the original one as well. So they will want to be confident that they can sell it to someone else fairly easily.

Roy Pritchard

Hi Stuart I did business over the phone with the sales person although via a third person in the office can I still get my deposit back via distant selling?
      Roy

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Roy. I’m not sure what the correct answer would be in that situation. I would say that if you have authorised someone to sign a contract on your behalf, you bought the car on the premises. But I’m not a lawyer and I suggest you get professional legal advice.

Mark callan

Hi. I put a £2000 deposit down in February on a new vw tiguan, was told that it would be delivered 5-8 weeks later, yet its may and still nothing. When inquiring when will it be ready I’ve been told that it will now be September. As I only was only looking for a new car because mine was wrote off in a crash in January and now the claims been settled and the hire car has gone back, I’ve didn’t have a car and could not possibly wait until September, so I’ve had to buy a ex demo 2 months old from a different dealer. The dealership who took the original order have said that they will refund my deposit, but I get the funny feeling it’s going to drag on. My question is where do I stand? Am I legally entitled to my deposit back? Would like to know before I start to kick up a fuss… thanks

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Mark. Just keep hassling them until you get your deposit back. It usually takes repeated calling and emails, so the sooner you hit the phones the sooner you will get it back.

Mark callan

Hi Stuart. Thanks for the reply… will do that, will actually call in as the salesman asked for me to call in to see the car I bought as he’s never seen the colour before, think it’s a good excuse just to turn up. Thanks again much appreciated

Amy

Hi
      I have out in a deposit of £250 for a new metallic colour car
      I wasn’t too keen on the change of the colour as I used to drive white but didn’t want a black one now that I have finally gotten used to it the dealer had called me to say the metallic car isint available anymore due to i being contracted somewhere else
      Can I fight and say I will wait for another r one ? As he offered me a black one and I don’t want it
      Many thanks in advance

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Amy. If the car you wanted is no longer available, you have the right to cancel the contract and get your deposit back. Another dealer may have the exact specification car you are looking for.

Kevin

Hi Stuart

I left a small deposit with a franchised dealership (for Audi). The deposit was for holding the car and I was encouraged to pay this by the salesperson who told me (over the phone) it was a no obligation deposit and fully refundable if I didn’t like the car. Upon inspection there was number of things wrong with the car (dents and scratches) that put me off, but the dealership said they will repair this if I purchase the car. Usually I wouldn’t sign anything until I see the finished product but I signed the order form that day because the dealership wanted to get the sale within their quarter end. However when I came to collect the vehicle a few days later (and on the last day of the month), there was a scratch and a dent that had gone unnoticed. Bearing in mind I traveled 2 hours, I was quite annoyed. I was told to take the car and come back for the final bit of work to be carried out at a later date. All this was so they could count the sale in their quarter end numbers. At one stage I was told that if I don’t take the car that day they will cancel the order all together (as to pressure me into paying the outstanding deposit and taking the vehicle). Because of this and the poor customer service I had received throughout the whole process I refused to take the vehicle and pay the outstanding deposit. The dealership said that they will unwind the finance however it seems they are unlikely to refund the deposit paid at the beginning. Where do I stand with the original deposit (note that this was transferred on to the order form as to contribute towards the total deposit due for the vehicle). Also are there any other steps I should take to protect myself?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.