• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Rejecting a car (Land Rover Discovery Sport)

Home Forums Buying a Car Rejecting a car (Land Rover Discovery Sport)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Hazel 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Austin

Hi Stuart
    I purchased a new Land Rover Discovery Sport in March 2017. I noticed a strange noise and advised the dealer in December 2017. They confirmed it was a defective balance shaft and repaired it in Jan 2018.

The noise returned in May 2018 so the balance shaft issue has not been resolved. I sought to reject the car because they failed to fix the issue on the first attempt. They declined my rejection on the basis I did not detect the issue within the first 6 months of my ownership and they fixed the issue under the warranty and presumably could fix it again under warranty.

Notwithstanding the 6 month rule, please could you advise if I have any basis upon which to reject the car given that (a) the balance shaft issue is a known defect with these engines and (b) there is every possibility that I will have to have it repaired every few months including when the warranty expires?

Many thanks

Austin

• #132425 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Austin. The Consumer Rights Act only works in your favour for the first six months, so after that, the onus is on you to prove that the car is faulty – and that is difficult.

If you want to pursue a rejection via the Act rather than trying to have Land Rover resolve the problem under warranty, I would suggest you speak to a lawyer who can help you progress your claim, otherwise, your chances of succeeding will be very slim.

• #132431 Reply
    Hazel

Hi I bought a car from a dealer 2.5 weeks ago. To cut a long story short I have let them know within 2.5 weeks of purchase that it needs a new gearbox so would like a refund. The seller is sort of agreeing sort of not, and wants me to bear the cost of returning the car to him as he is in Reading and I am in Bristol. I know that he has to cover the cost. My concern is, if he picks the car up, when should I receive my money? What happens if he takes the car and I don’t hear from him again. At what point of hand back of the car should you receive your refund?

Reply To: Rejecting a car (Land Rover Discovery Sport)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: