• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Rejecting a used car (Jaguar XJ6)

Home Forums Any Other Business Rejecting a used car (Jaguar XJ6)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Barry T

Hi Stuart
    I bought a 2003 Jaguar XJ6 in January and part-exchanged my old car and paid a balance of just under £4k.
    I appreciate this seems a lot but the car was immaculate and very low mileage (64,000) for its age.
    I was given a new MOT with no advisories but when I checked all the paperwork later on, I saw that there had been quite a few advisories on earlier MOTs and some fails, so I was surprised there were none at all showing.
    I took the car to my local MOT garage who checked it over and, in their opinion, there were at least 8 items that could have shown up. I got back to the dealer, who said all MOT testers are different but he agreed that I should take it to an “unbiased” garage which I did (it was a Jaguar main dealer) and the car failed.
    Under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, I have asked for my money back and if possible, my old car which they still have. They have refused to give me my money back but said I should get the parts repaired and they will pay, but I have rejected that as I don’t intend to accept the car and I certainly won’t spend more money and chase the dealer for that.
    If the car has failed its MOT, the DVSA say the car is unroadworthy and I maintain that even though the car is 15 years old, the car should be roadworthy however old the car is. On that basis, I am pushing for a full refund. Do you agree?
    If the dealer still refuses, it seems that my only recourse is legal action as I have a car on my drive which is unroadworthy and a dealer who has no intention of picking it up.

• #128709 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Barry. It does sound like you have a valid case to reject the car under the Consumer Rights Act.

Under the terms of the Act, you would be entitled to a full refund of the purchase price. There is no obligation for the dealer to give you your old car back and a bit less cash.

If the dealer is refusing to accept your rejection (which needs to be provided formally – ie; in writing), then basically it’s up to you to pursue the matter with the help of a lawyer.

Reply To: Rejecting a used car (Jaguar XJ6)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: