• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Repeated Brake Failure (Land Rover Freelander)

Home Forums Buying a Car Repeated Brake Failure (Land Rover Freelander)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Duncan Ritchie

Hello Stuart,

My wife and I bought a 63-plate Land Rover Freelander from a Land Rover Dealership in June 2016. The car was supplied with a 2-year unlimited mileage Land Rover warranty.
    In December 2016, the brakes failed completely – the brake pedal was stiff but the brakes inoperable. The car simply coasted to a halt.
    The car was recovered to the supplying dealer and repaired under warranty.
    In January 2017, the brakes failed again – the same issue as before. Again the car was recovered to a Land Rover dealer and repaired.
    In may 2017, the brakes failed again and the same repairs effected.
    In September 2017, the brakes failed for a fourth – this time at a busy junction and we narrowly missed colliding with a young mother and child.
    We advised the supplying dealer and Land Rover UK that we could not accept any further repairs or assurances regarding the car’s safety.
    The supplying dealer was willing to part-fund an exchange but looking to Land Rover UK to contribute towards that as – some of the repairs were undertaken by other Land Rover dealers & the funding gap was too much for them.
    Land Rover UK has inspected the car, effected a repair but has been unable to identify the root cause of the issue.
    Land Rover Finance has rejected any rejection as they claim the fault could not have been present at point of sale.
    We have escalated the matter to the CEO of Land Rover UK – Dr. Ralf Speth – but to no avail.
    As you can imagine, we have lost confidence in the car and are not willing to play roulette with lives.
    We have and are willing to part-fund any exchange but do not believe that we should be expected to fully fund any difference as the fault is not of our making.
    My question is – what are our rights if any?

Thank you for your assistance.

• #125231 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Duncan. I would suggest that you should get some professional legal assistance to help support your case. Clearly being nice isn’t helping so call for reinforcements.

Reply To: Repeated Brake Failure (Land Rover Freelander)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: