Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

SEAT giving me the run around

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car SEAT giving me the run around

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Dan

Hi guys, just looking for a little advice. Went to view a used Seat Leon Cupra yesterday for 16,000 at a seat dealership. Car was what I wanted but the whole bonnet and wings were covered in stone chips, a lot more than average than a normal car anyways. The dealership said they would touch them up but as I have family and friends on the bodyshop business I was advised it would be respray on bonnet and blended into the wings so it doesn’t look out of place.

As part of the deal they agreed to this so I went away and had a think. I want the car and agreed to put £500 deposit down as long as the said paintwork didn’t look out of place and was done properly. But explained to the guy that if everything is to a high standard like they said it would be I would accept the car and drive away that day but if it wasn’t I want gaurentee that I could walk away and have my deposit refunded. They have been giving me the run around all yesterday trying to swerve it and finally gave me an email last night mentioning the repair work but never stated any gaurentee in the email.

I won’t be changing my mind about the purchase regardless it’s just Wether they will try do the cheap fix on the car and I will be stuck into buying it with my deposit been taking. I’ll be sending him an email back today requesting an new email clearing stating I can walk away but I think I’ll get the run around again … do I have any rights with this or what’s the best way going about it?
      Thanks in advance

Dan

Just to confirm I haven’t paid any deposit yet.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

The dealership will do the repair as cheaply as possible. A full respray of the bonnet is much more expensive than some quick touching up, and would take a sizeable chunk out of the car’s profit margin. Even if it is resprayed, it is not going to look factory-fresh.

The dealer is also highly unlikely to give you a written guarantee that you can walk away if you are not happy, unless they are getting desperate to sell you the car. It gives you all the power and there’s nothing they can do about it, even if it meets all reasonable standards but you are still not happy.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.