Used car from a dealer but some issues, can I return it?

Home Forums Blogs Used car from a dealer but some issues, can I return it?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi and thanks in advance. I purchased a cheap runabout from a dealer for 2K, an 2007 Astra with 80K on the clock, clean MOT (no advisories) however after only a few days I got concerned about the clutch biting right at the top and the reverse gear slightly crunching when engaged, I have also found a hole in the exhaust (not the usual one) which is blowing. I accept this is an old car with bumps and scratches however I am now facing a large imminent bill for a new clutch and exhaust neither of which were highlighted by the garage at the time of purchase or on the MOT. Can I return the car and request a refund as the car is not of satisfactory quality? I have used the car for only days and covered minimal miles.

• #138679 Reply

That’s a really unpleasant situation… Have you read your contract? Is there anything about return policy? Honestly, I doubt that they’ll take the car back and give you a refund, but you may try asking them about that.

• #139690 Reply
      Stuart MassonStuart Masson
      Keymaster

The clutch may be difficult to argue, as it’s a wear-and-tear item and you would have to prove that it was faulty at time of purchase.

The exhaust issue is probably easier to prove, as there should be clear signs of corrosion if that’s what has caused the holes (as opposed to an impact). However, that may not be enough to justify rejecting the whole car, so you may be better off trying to get the dealer to fix the exhaust at their expense.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Used car from a dealer but some issues, can I return it?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: