Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Using a car that has a fault

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car Using a car that has a fault

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jamie

I bought a Honda FR-V for £2,500 from carnage and noticed the engine had a bit of a whine but was told but the seller that the car had had a full going over by their mechanics and a full PDI check and found no faults whatsoever with the car and showed me the relevant paperwork.

The father in law with me heard it too and said that must be a Diesel engine for u and as we are not mechanics and the seller told me they’d been all over the car who am I to argue. The next day I pulled into the local garage just to have a check and they heard the whine and told me the tensioner bearing had gone, I went to a second garage and they confirmed this and both these guys diagnosed the problem just by standing over the engine and told me any mechanic could hear this and know what it was.

I do not have a warranty but would like to know if I could get car add to pay for the repair as they obviously knew the bearing had gone if their mechanics had given it a full check which I have the paperwork to prove that they have. Please advise

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Jamie. Regardless of whether the car has a warranty, you may still be covered by the Consumer Rights Act. Have a read of our article about rejecting a faulty car.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.