• Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

VED £40K list price problem

Home Forums New and News VED £40K list price problem

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Edward Davies

I recently bought a car from Sytner MINI Oldbury and was sent a document (and email assurances) confirming the list price to be under £40,000. However, after buying the car, and coming to tax it, I was charged an additional £310 (to the standard £140) by the DVLA as their records showed a list price of over £40,000.

It appears (although the dealer has unable/unwilling to provide me with an official manufacturers list price document) that the demonstrator was ordered from MINI in December 2017 and a PDF of the price was obtained. The dealer paid that price. However, the dealer did not register the car until March 2018 by which time the list price had increased, unknown to the dealer, to a price over £40,000.

After complaining to BMW, the dealer has been ordered to pay the £310 for the years I own the car, until year 6 when the VED reverts to standard (although 2 weeks later, no payment has been received).

However, VED is a big issue for buyers and I believe this will affect my ability to sell the car on, and the price I could obtain and I have no idea how I can get compensation for this. Any advice appreciated.

• #134641 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Edward. Sounds like a simple oversight from the dealer, and BMW is right to insist that Sytner recompenses you for the additional road tax for as long as you own the car (mind you, they probably don’t get many Minis priced over £40K so it may not have even occurred to the dealer’s admin team to check).

I don’t like your chances of getting any further compensation for any potential impact on resale value when you come to sell the car. No dealer is going to hand over a compensation payment for a perceived potential loss at some undetermined point in the future.

Reply To: VED £40K list price problem

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: