fbpx

Vehicle order form questions – time dependent bonus

TCE home 2021 Forums Buying a Car Vehicle order form questions – time dependent bonus

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Matthew Wright

I have recently signed a vehicle order form on the understanding that a discount had been applied, and was not negotiable.

The vehicle order form is set out as follows:

Value Discount Net Value
      Vehicle Price : £30000 -£3000 £27000
      Delivery : £500 £0 £500
      Registration Fee: £55 £0 £55
      £1500 Reg Bonus only if Reg’d by 31/12/ £0 £0 £0
      Total : £30555 -£3000 £27550

I phoned the dealership with regards to the line item about the registration bonus prior to signing, as there is 0 value to this. They stated that the bonus had already been applied in the vehicle price line item. There is no other reference on the vehicle order form to the registration bonus and/or any cut off dates.

There is now some doubt that the vehicle will be delivered in time to register prior to the 31/12/2018 and the dealership are saying that the discount applied against the vehicle price is going to be only £1500 rather than the £3000.

I am sure that the vehicle order form as set out does not allow them to do this, for the following reasons
      – there is no discount applied under the specific line item with the caveat applied.
      – the caveat applied is not clear as it does not state a year

Furthermore, I signed and returned the vehicle order form on email, but have not been sent a copy of the countersigned version by the dealership, but I have paid a £1000 deposit. Am I therefore even in contract?

Finally, I have not been sent the Terms and Conditions that should have appeared on the back of the vehicle order, but stupidly signed anyway, but given that I have not seen the T&C’s and was not sent them by the dealership then I see this as an error on both the dealership and my part? Same question applies – am I in contract if I have not seen the T&C’s and have not been offered them by the dealership?

Matthew Wright

To make the above clearer – see below WRT vehicle order form details.

……………………………………..Value……Discount…..Net Value
      Vehicle Price : ………………………£30000……..-£3000……..£27000
      Delivery :……………………………. £500 ………..£0……… £500
      Registration Fee: ……………………….£55…………£0………..£55
      £1500 Reg Bonus only if Reg’d by 31/12/……..£0…………£0…………£0
      Total : ……………………………..£30555……..-£3000……..£27550

Stuart Masson

Hi Matthew. If you signed the contract, you can consider yourself bound by it. Signing the contract without seeing the T&Cs is your responsibility.

The dealership should be able to send you a countersigned version if you ask them to; the fact that they haven’t done so is more likely to be an administrative error rather than them declining to sign it.

With regard to the conditions of the contract and any discount, if the contract is not specific then you can certainly try to hold the dealer to it. However, they can ultimately walk away on any number of excuses if they don’t want to honour the price or renegotiate, and there’s not a lot you can do about it.

Matthew Wright

Stuart,

Many thanks. I was not too concerned about the dealership walking away from the deal, as they would have had to refunded me my deposit, and at the time I could have gone to any one of a number of other dealerships to get the same initial price.

However, on this occasion there has been a positive outcome (to date) as the dealership has confirmed they would honour the price on the vehicle order form. I assume they would still rather sell me a car with minimal return rather than me go and purchase from elsewhere.

I say to date as I have yet to receive the car and pay for it! I would be most upset if they back out now as I will not be able to get the car from elsewhere at the same price given it is now beyond the registration cut off.

Stuart Masson

Hi Matthew. Glad it’s worked out (or at least appears to have worked out).

The dealer may well have been trying to cover themselves if the manufacturer refused to honour the additional £1,500 discount – usually these deals are set up, advertised and mostly paid for by the manufacturer rather than the dealership.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.