26 July 2018 at 12:24 pm #135489
My husband & I placed an order with Volvo for a new XC60 as our family car in advance of our first child (due in August). We placed the order in April & agreed to a PCP offer.
On the eve of the collection, we were informed by the dealer that the offer had now changed & the GMFV was now £2k less so our payments would be affected. Upon contacting the dealer, they explained that the finance company & Volvo had an agreement that the finance offers would only be valid for 90 days, a fact that was not disclosed to us when placing the order, and Volvo ended up with a 21-day production delay so this took us over the 90 days.
Although the delay was nothing to do with us, the consumer, both companies are saying take it or leave it. We were of the understanding that if we had completed the paperwork with the dealership then the original offer would stand.
I’m now 3 weeks away from giving birth, without a car & stressed out. Is there anything we can do or are our hands tied to either accept the deal or walk away?
26 July 2018 at 8:48 pm #135534
I can sypathise with you and it must be very distressing at a time when you should be looking forward to the birth.
I can only offer my opinion rather than hard advice. Consider for a moment, if this is the way that a dealership treats you even before you have a vehicle from them, imagine how difficult they will be to deal with if you proceed with the purchase and later on encounter any problems with the car. Your faith in the dealer and perhaps Volvo as well has already been undermined.
29 July 2018 at 6:32 pm #135683
Hi Joanne. It sounds like you signed an order for the vehicle but not the finance agreement.
If you haven’t signed a finance contract then the original quote and application will eventually expire. Once you have a signed finance contract (which usually only happens a couple of days before you take delivery of the car, for this exact reason), they can’t change your payments.
Usually in these sorts of situations, the finance company will agree to hold the original offer if it’s possible. They have clearly decided that they would rather lose a customer than agree to keep to the original terms.
They may not have handled the situation very well or informed you earlier that this would happen, but unfortunately, there’s probably not a lot you can do about it. You can make a complaint to the finance company about the whole matter, but there’s no guarantee it will help.