• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Warranty rights

Home Forums Any Other Business Warranty rights

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar B Kirk 10 months ago.

• Author
    Dawn Hoyle

Hi, I have recently bought a Peugeot 508 SR SW E-HDI S-A, 2011 from a car trader.

I have a finance contract, the total amount payable is: £8118.72, devided by £169.14 a month over 48 months.

It is covered by 3 months warranty purchase date was the: 05/09/2018. I have recently been having the engine management light coming on and a message say, engine fault, switch of immediately and get repaired.

I took the car to the trader I bought it from and they have said the problem with it is the exhaust is blocked and it is not covered by the warranty. They are saying I need to pay £300 for repair.

I know that this cannot have just happened over the course of the 7 weeks I’ve had the car, surely this must of been building up over a longer period of time. I would appreciate your feedback! Regards, Dawn Hoyle.

• #146205 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Dawn. You can say that “this cannot have happened over the course of the 7 weeks I’ve had the car”, but if it’s already seven years old then there is certainly the potential for the car to have broken in that time (even if it seems unlikely).

If you are wanting to claim this under warranty and the dealer has refused, it’s now up to you to prove that it is a valid claim.

If it is a significant problem, you can consider rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act. Given that you are within six months of buying the vehicle, it would be up to the dealer to prove that the car was not faulty when you bought it.

However, a £300 repair on a seven-year-old car may not be considered valid grounds to reject the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act. You’d need to get some professional legal advice, and that could easily cost more than £300 before you even know whether you have a valid case.

• #146699 Reply
    B Kirk

Hi,

I Purchased a used car from Evans Halshaw plus purchasing an extended 2 yr warranty.

As of now ( just under 3 months after purchase) the car has had multiple problems being with the garage 2.5 weeks of these few months.

I have requested a refund or exchange of vehicle.

They have accepted to change the vehicle refunding the basic car cost.

HOWEVER, they will not refund the £500 2 yr warranty or transfer it & so are wanting me to pay this AGAIN on the replacement car.

Reply To: Warranty rights

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: