• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Where do I stand?

Home Forums Any Other Business Where do I stand?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author
    Claire

I bought a second-hand car less than a fortnight ago, I part ex’d my car at the same time.

The dealer sold it to me with 1 months warranty, within 3 days it had ‘high engine temperature’ warning come up. I pulled over so as not to damage the car and phoned recovery, they came out and on inspection said that the radiator had gone.

I took it back to the dealer and told him what the RAC told me and they said it would be repaired. I returned 2 days later to collect my car after the repairs took place, the car seemed ok for the few miles it took to drive home.

5 days later when I drove it next, the ‘high engine temperature’ message appeared again so tried to phone the garage, after no response I took it in the next day. I spoke to the man who sold me the car and he said that the car I part ex’d had since been sold on and blown the turbo and that I’d have to pay for either the repairs to my new car or repair that under warranty and I’d have to pay for repairs to the old car.

I told him the old car was no longer anything to do with me and I’d only brought the new car back because of the warranty, otherwise I’d have taken it to my local garage. He told me ‘it doesn’t work like that, so you need to pay for one or the other’.

I don’t believe he was correct. I ended up walking away from my warranty as he wouldn’t budge and I felt I would end up pressured into paying for the old car. Any advice please as this situation has me stressed out and worried.

• #175187 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Claire. Firstly, unless you knowingly part-exchanged your car with a faulty turbo, you don’t have to worry about what happened to it after you handed over the keys.

Secondly, your rights on your new car are a completely separate issue. If the warranty does not cover the fault, you may be able to reject the car through the Consumer Rights Act. For more information, have a read of our guide to rejecting a faulty car.

Reply To: Where do I stand?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: