Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Will I need a permit to drive in the EU after Brexit?

The Department for Transport has issued guidelines for motorists driving on the continent during the transition period.

Our Expert Partners

Motorway 600x300

Sell your car with Motorway
Find out more

Motors 600x300

Find your next car with Motors
Find out more

Leasing dot com 600x300

Car leasing offers from Leasing.com
Find out more

ALA Insurance logo 2022 600x300

Warranty and GAP from ALA Insurance
Find out more

MotorEasy logo 300x150

Warranty, servicing and tyres from MotorEasy
Find out more

Mycardirect subscriptions – 600x300

Carsubscriptions from Mycardirect
Find out more


UK motorists will continue to be able to drive in the EU as normal after Brexit and until the transition period is over.

The existing rules allow motorists to drive in EU countries on a full UK licence, but there had been concerns that permits would be required to drive on the continent after January 31.

However, in a statement yesterday to the PA news agency, the Department for Transport said: “Under the withdrawal agreement, arrangements for drivers (both commercial and private motorists) will remain as they are now during the transition period.

“This means that UK motorists will be able to continue to drive in the EU as they do now, until 31 December 2020. UK motorists will therefore not require an International Driving Permit (IDP) alongside their UK driving licence when driving in the EU as a visitor during this time.

“Whether IDPs will be required to drive in the EU from 1 January 2021 will be subject to future relationship negotiations.”

After numerous delays, 31 January 2020 will be the day the UK leaves the EU after MPs voted in favour of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill and it was given Royal Assent. After that date, the UK will enter a transition period, where many of the existing agreements with the EU will remain in place. From 1 January 2021, any new deals that have been negotiated will come into force.

Under current rules, when driving in countries outside the EU, UK motorists may need an IDP, which is a small booklet that can be bought for £5.50 over the counter at most post offices. When applying for one, you must bring their full and valid UK photocard driving licence and a passport-standard photograph. If your licence is still the old paper version, you need to bring that plus a valid passport as proof of ID, as well as a passport-standard photograph.

The latest from The Car Expert

Stuart Masson
Stuart Massonhttps://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/
Stuart is the Editorial Director of our suite of sites: The Car Expert, The Van Expert and The Truck Expert. Originally from Australia, Stuart has had a passion for cars and the automotive industry for over thirty years. He spent a decade in automotive retail, and now works tirelessly to help car buyers by providing independent and impartial advice.